Friday

An Introduction

"So this is the New Year, and I don't feel any different," the words from the Deathcab for Cutie song rattled in my broken headphones as I stepped out on the front porch.  Pausing briefly, the cool smell of rain filled my lungs before feet bid home's doorstep adieu.  The path to Cosmos Coffee is a strange familiarity after only a few short months in La Mesa.  I have grown accustomed to the sights and smells, the people.  This morning was peculiar though, more beautiful than the rest.  

I feel embarrassed sometimes by my simple singularity of thought; legs dragging methodically behind the typical hungry whim for a cheese danish, completely oblivious to life growing and burning out all around.  That is why I am thankful for the recent rains; they draw out beauty lying just beneath the brown landscape of Southern California.  They remind me that life and opportunity reside just beneath the mask of humdrum routine and obligation. 


Now I sit in Cosmos, hot chamomile in one hand and a pastry on the plate before me. My gaze searches beyond the windowpane, dancing among faces of morning commuters on the boulevard.  My thoughts turn back to the Deathcab song…I honestly do not feel different when reaching a milestone in time.  Perhaps, though, this news is not so depressing as I first perceived.  Maybe adventure and opportunity consistently surround us, but our distracted eyes do not recognize them.  That is why I plug away tirelessly on this magazine project, to highlight the commonplace revolution that is growing around us. 


"One of the great liabilities of life is that too many people find themselves living amid a period of great social change and yet they end up sleeping through a revolution."  -Martin Luther King Jr.


I hope Public Bread will serve as your window into the world-change that flies just below the radar of mainstream media, and this website will provide resources to dig deeper into these stories of change.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, This is amazing. It honestly is, I am soo excited for you and PB. I have subscribed, and am ready to read the first issue this week. I support you and this 100%...!

Shawn S. (L. Nebraska)

Anonymous said...

Sr. David,

I like what you are doing. This is a good concept, and I'm glad you've taken the initiative to start this up. I hope more people will discover your site and make an effort to look around and see the problems that face our generation and seek novel solutions to old ones that have always plagued humanity.

Cheers,

Matt W. (Huntsville, AL)